The HOW TO of Alphabetics Scripture Word-Number Code
Studies. Looking up names, numbers, people, places for a scripture-based
-- b o o k m a r
k t h i s p a g e --
Alphabetics on 888 (Jesus) --
and 888 on Alphabetics
This simplified document was created for the purpose of
introducing the Alphabetics code to those unfamiliar with it. A look at many
of the occurrences of 888 is used to illustrate the various means of looking
things up, and to show the insights obtained through such studies.
The following principles, methods and resources are meant to assist you as
you undertake to employ Alphabetics as a tool of learning.
These descriptions also serve the purpose of helping you better understand
where I am coming from in the studies I have posted here at Greater Things web
All things testify of Christ. All things. That is all
Wherever you turn, you can find parallels and analogies that can assist you
in your life and your understanding of society if you will yield to the Lord
in humility, ask in faith, and let his Spirit guide you.
The lessons in some things are more readily apparent than in others.
But nothing is devoid of a message of truth if we turn it to the Lord.
Inasmuch as God has equated himself with the "Word," turning to
words, especially from the scriptures, their spelling, their meaning, their
usage, the numbers associated with them, and even the pages on which they
occur, is sure to be a rich source of meaningful truth.
- Left Brain and Right Brain
Like in any other mode of receiving greater light and knowledge from God,
with Alphabetics you need to engage both the left-brain analytic abilities and
the right-brain creative juices to get the most out of your studies and
- Let the Spirit be Your Guide
The most important thing of all is that you engage in these studies with
faith in the Lord, asking that the Spirit of God be your companion as you
- The Miracle of Synchronicity
While any two things could be compared and analogies and lessons derived, a
characteristic feature of Alphabetics is that the degree of applicability
usually is much more along the lines of "a match made in
heaven." For example, when I looked up word 33 in Greek a couple of
years ago to see what commentary I might derive about my life at the time,
insamsuch as I was then 33, the fact that the Greek word is age
goes far beyond a remote coincidence. I could then feel more confident
in applying that word's meaning, "go," in my own life in the spirit
of the admonition given Isaiah, "Go, tell these people...," a
calling which is already applicable to anyone, but which few dare fulfill.
Everyone has a calling in life, based on their talents and their
weaknesses. The Alphabetics word-number studies are a powerful tool in
helping us discover our divine gifts, overcome our weaknesses, and carry out
our missions. Most importantly, they help us come to know God, as we
come to realize that each of us is a part of the body of Christ, that his mind
might be in us, and that we might dwell in him, perfected in him.
- Look before and after a word in its alphabetical listing (such as in a
dictionary or lexicon).
- If a word (such as your name) does not occur in the listing, merely
insert it alphabetically where it belongs.
- Sometimes you will find relevance in words tens of words away from the
- Almost always, the words in close vicinity have strong relevance of
- Look at the numbers associated with the word, both the word number and the
- Look up other words that have that number.
- Look up a number in its various occurrences (such as word number or page
numbers of various dictionary-like books) and consider the words that are
associated with that number or in its vicinity.
- Places to look things up. These are the ones I use, which I have
found to be consistently rich in finding treasures of understanding and
wisdom. Others are likely to be good as well. The complete
bibliography for the following books is found later in this document.
- Bible Lexicon
- Old Testament Lexicon (Hebrew word with English Definition):
- New Testament Lexicon (Greek word with English Definition):
- English Dictionary (whatever you have lying around the house)
- LDS Topical Guide/Bible Dictionary/JST
name to Greek/Hebrew | Calculate
sum of letter values | ASCII code | mnemonic/phonetic | chiasm/parallel | divide
"What's in YOUR name?"
to report problems or here
to learn how to install this code on your site.
- Convert a name to a Greek
or Hebrew spelling to look it up alphabetically in the Old or
New Testament Lexicon.
- A basic faculty with the Hebrew and Greek alphabets is helpful but not
- click here
to see the English, Hebrew, and Greek alphabets side-by-side.
- Calculate the sum
of letter values spelling a word according to its Greek or
Hebrew spelling, then look up that number in its various locations.
- click here
to see the numeric values for each of the Hebrew and Greek letters.
- Look up a word or name's ASCII code
numeric value, then look up that number.
here for a program that converts names, words, phrases
into a number into
- ASCII [best place to get a number conversion for your e-mail
address or website URL]
- Straight Alphabetic Conversion (a=1)
- Alphabetic plus 100 conversion
- Alphabetic times 6 conversion
- Alphabetic times 6 reverse conversion
- click here to see a
- click here to go
to a web site that enables you to enter a word or phrase and then
calculate its alphabetic value.
- click here to see sample
write-up: "Why HOLY BIBLE = 666 in ASCII code"
- Convert the spelling of a word to numbers by reversing the mneumonic phonetic
memorization scheme for memorizing numbers.
- The standard scheme is usually used to convert numbers to words
whereby a number can thus be memorized by creating a word or phrase from
the letter-equivalents of the numbers.
- click here to see chart showing
- Look for chiasms or parallels
in alphabetic listings of words.
- click here to see an
index of Alphabetics chiasms/parallels
- Divide a number in half or 1/3 or
2/3 or 1/4 or 3/4 and see what the words associate with those numbers mean.
- For example, my previous phone suffix, 9155, was too big to look up,
so I divided it by 2. Word 4577.5 in Gesenius' OT lexicon is on
page 491, which happened to be the phone suffix for that phone number.
- Your name in
- Be willing to be creative in the possibilities. Go with your
intuition, but don't leave common sense behind.
- In the mouth of two or three witnesses
The discoveries you make in Alphabetics Word Studies should be borne out by
additional witnesses from other sources, such as direct scriptural statements.
- Take the Spirit for Your Guide
These things in no way should replace the process of personal revelation in
which truths are borne to our minds and our hearts through the power of the
Holy Ghost. They are but a tool to facilitate that process.
God will honor your agency. If you desire to do a deception, he will
endeavor to influence you otherwise, but ultimately will allow you to get
caught up in a delusion. Make sure, therefore, that you are
striving first and foremost to align your life with God's will, that your will
might become one with God, for it doesn't go the other way around.
- Reference Books
- The BibleBible, King James Version,
published by Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1979.
- James Strong; Exhaustive
Concordance of the Bible; Hendrickson Publishers, ISBN
Now from Amazon.com
Spiros; Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament AMG
Publishers, Chattanooga, TN 37422; 1992. ISBN 0-89957-663-X. Purchase
Now from Amazon.com
- H.W.F. Gesenius;
Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon of the Old Testament;
Baker Books, Grand Rapids, MI 49516; 1979. ISBN: 0-8010-3736-0 (softcover)
Purchase Now from Amazon.com
- English Dictionary (whatever happens to be lying
about the house).
- Virginia S. Thatcher, Alexander McQueen; The New Webster Encyclopedic
Dictionary of the English Language; Consolidated Book
Publishers, Chicago, 1971. ISBN
New International Dictionary, 3rd
Ed., Unabridged; G. & C. Merriam Company (established,
1831), Springfield 2, Massachusetts, U.S.A.; 1961. [huge library edition]
- Webster's II: New
Riverside Dictionary; Berkley Books, NY, 1984. ISBN:
- Rabbi Yitzchak Ginsburgh; The Alef-Beit: Jewish Thought
Revealed through the Hebrew Letters; Jason Aronson Inc.,
Northvale, New Jersey & London; 1995; ISBN 1-56821-413-8. Purchase Now from Amazon.com
- Joe Sampson; Written by the Finger of God: Decoding
Ancient Languages: A Testimony of Joseph Smith's Translations;
Wellspring Publishing and Distributing, P.O. Box 1113, Sandy, UT 84091;
1993; ISBN 1-884312-05-5.
- Books that Employ Alphabetics-Related Methods
- Infobases (Scripture Search software); Infobases, Inc., 305
N. 500 W., Provo, UT 84601-2644; (801) 375-2227. Visit web site at
contents not necessarily endorsed by Greater Things